The Jane Birkin wannabe make-up look

by - December 06, 2016

So when it comes to my everyday make-up, I basically just stare at photos of 60's sirens and try my hardest to look like them! I just completely adore the whole sixties make up look. The bold cat eye flick, lashings of dolly like mascara, a defined crease and peachy lips- it's just such a flattering look. I'm not blessed with big, deep set eyes so by making them the main focus of this look it really opens them out.

Jane Birkin, Françoise Hardy, Brigitte Bardot, Anna Karina, Audrey Hepburn- some of the most iconic beauties of all time and they all channel this ultimate sixties look. I personally don't feel like myself unless I've got my cat eye on, brows filled and lashings of mascara applied so I try and make my make-up look like this everyday.When I'm in a rush I would maybe scrap the defined cut crease and go for a more natural shadow to save time. But when I do have that extra 10 minutes, I love to go all out with the sixties vibes!

Top- Alexa Chung for M&S, Flower Corsage- ASOS

Products Used

Primer- No7 airbrush primer
Foundation- Georgio Armani luminous silk shade 3
Concealer- Maybelline eye eraser shade 1
Powder- Chanel translucent loose finishing powder
Contour- Anastasia Beverly Hills powder contour kit, light
Blush- Benefit coralista
Highlighter- The Balm, Mary Lou manizer
Brows- Benefit precisely my brow shade 3, Benefit gimme brow shade 3
Eyeshadow- Chanel eyeshadow quad (les 4 ombres)- mix of the 3 brown shades
Eyeliner- Kat von Dee tattoo liner
Water line liner- Rimmel kajal eyeliner
Mascara- Top, Lancome Grandiose mascara, Bottom, Estee Lauder double wear mascara
Lipstick- Revlon pink in the afternoon lipstick

Once your happy with your base, I applied a strong contour to try and recreate the incredible cheekbones of all the 60's French girls I adore so much (well trying my best anyway!) and add a pop of coral coloured blush on the apples of my cheeks alongside a subtle highlight- you don't want to go too glittery, try and keep it more on the natural side.

I filled in my brows and then it's onto the most important part- the eyes! First I applied a light cream shade all across the lids and up to the eyebrow. Then once the base was applied I used a small pencil eyeshadow brush (the zoeva one is fab) and applied a light beige shade in the crease. Sixties girls loved a really defined crease line, so place the brush in your socket line and use light strokes back and forth until you achieve a defined line- it should extend slightly to mimic your cat eye flick. Once you've got the line sorted build up the colour using darker brown shades until it's much more dramatic. Try not to blend it either, I know it seems weird leaving such a defined line on your crease but if you blend it out you'll lose that sixties look. Then apply your cat eye flick- I wish I could tell you some magic trick on how to get it right but it really just takes practice. I would say make sure your elbow is firmly on a surface to steady your hand and take your time! For a sixties shape I tend to point the flick downwards a bit before flicking it out- this really opens up your eyes too.

Then I popped a nude eyeliner in the water line- opt for white if you really want a dramatic sixties look and now onto lashes, my favourite part. I use the Troy Surratt eyelash curlers (THE best curlers ever!!!) to really point the lashes upwards. Then I apply lashings of Lancome grandiose mascara- I haven't found a mascara that can top this and its 100% worth the splurge (save up your boots points and buy the mascara gift set before Christmas!). Then I use double wear mascara on the bottom lashes as I find this doesn't smudge and has a much smaller wand so it's great for catching all the small lashes on your bottom lash line. Jane Birkin in particular is known for her dolly like bottom lashes so try and apply a few coats to really make them stand out.

Add a pop of Revlon lipstick (the shade used my Audrey in Breakfast at Tiffanies nonetheless) and your done! It's a pretty easy look to create, yet is so effective at making your eyes look much bigger and giving you that modern sixties look. If you want to make it even more dramatic you could add a red lip- perfect for Christmas parties- but I like to stick to a coral/pink shade for a softer sixties look.

X







You May Also Like

0 comments