A nod to mod

by - December 19, 2016


Winter is most definitely my favourite season of the year. I'd love to say this was because of crisp winter evenings, big open fires and endless cups of mulled wine but in reality it's because of my love of coats. They are without a doubt my favourite item of loving hands down. I have a collection that is quickly getting out of hand but I just can't help it- as soon as I see a killer coat, I have to get my hands on it. 

My go to (of which I'm ashamed to say I own 5 of!!) is normally a leopard print furry number. I don't care how many Bette Lynch, Pat Butcher jokes I get thrown at me, they are my wardrobe staple. But the other day when I found myself killing time around Covent Garden, I popped into Pop Boutique. After browsing their amazing selection of vintage treasures, something caught my eye. Leather, cherry red, vintage 60's/70's and wait for it...under 50 quid! Yep it is what dreams are made of and to top it all off, it fits like a glove which is rare when it comes to vintage leather. I'm just completely head over heels obsessed with this little gem and can see myself getting so much wear out of it. As much as I love picking my outfit carefully and matching my accessories, I always feel like a killer statement coat brings everything together and adds that last finishing pop to any look. I'm a bit of a sucker for that 60's mod look so instantly started planning outfits in my head to go with this little bobby dazzler.

Obviously a polo neck was essential. You can't try and create that Beatlemania, just stepped off the set of Quadrophenia and ready to twist and shout vibe without a classic polo neck layered underneath a vintage coat. To continue the swinging sixties vibes I added this amazing leopard print mini from Topshop to add a little pop of pattern, which I think works so well against the red leather. Add my favourite Gucci esque ankle boots from Topshop and this too cute for words bag from Forever 21 and my mod wannabe look is complete. Obviously my lipstick had to match the coat, so I used the Rimmel Kate Moss 107 lipstick (a cult classic for a reason) to tie everything together. 

Finding this coat has completely restored my faith in vintage shopping. Yes it takes ages looking through endless charity and vintage shops. Yes it's hard to find the right fit without having to get the sewing machine out. Yes there will always be that questionable odour when you walk in the shop. But honestly, there is nothing better than finding a vintage piece you love. I just love the fact that you'll have found something completely unique that no one else will have. Normally the quality is so much better than what you'd find on the high street if its been kept in good condition and the price is usually unreal! For girls like me who love that sixties, retro look to their outfits, it's often really hard to find exactly what you want on the high street. So please, go and find your local vintage shop, have a good rummage around and I promise you eventually you'll find your dream piece and the extra effort will be so worth it!


Coat- Pop Boutique vintage
Boots- Topshop
Skirt- Topshop
Polo Neck- Primark
Bag- Forever 21
Lipstick- Rimmel, Kate Moss 107


X

You May Also Like

2 comments