Let's talk: body image.

by - July 28, 2015

I'll try and not make this post into one long rant but this is a subject that drives me mad on a daily basis! I think body image is something every girl struggles with no matter how confident people appear to be. It is something I have struggled with pretty much my entire life and although I can deal with it better now I still have my good and bad days like anyone else.

Since I was young, even as young as about 6 or 7, I have wanted to change the way I look. I was always too fat, too spotty, my hair was too thin or the wrong colour; I pretty much wanted to change everything! As I got older this only worsened. My entire teenage years were spent standing in front of a mirror hating the way I looked, desperately wanting to be 'skinny', not healthy or happy, but 'skinny'. This is something that drives me mad and I fear the problem is only getting worse for young girls today. This desire to be 'skinny' is becoming a crisis.

Next time you are walking round a town centre, take a look around you and count how many people you see who are size zero, 6ft tall, incredibly beautiful models with no imperfections. The number will most likely be zero. Yet, open the pages of any magazine, particularly fashion magazines, and sometimes over 90% of the women we are constantly exposed to are these 6ft tall 'beauties'. They are the minority. So why do we feel like the ones who are abnormal when us normal women are the majority? I am tired of magazines and celebrities portraying size zero as being the ideal goal. Too often I now see young girls caked in too much make up sipping green juices and trying to starve themselves so they look like the models they see in magazines and all over the internet. As much as I try I am still a victim of this body image crisis which the media has created. I'm a size 10 but sometimes if an item of clothing is too small and I have to get a 12 I either refuse to try it on or feel depressed the rest of the day. Why? Why am I made to feel fat for getting a size 12? That is below the average dress and I would say is still pretty small. But the media has us obsessed with that perfect size 6 or 8 figure that is the ultimate dream. What does a dress size mean anyway, we should be looking at the clothes and how they fit not a number on the label.



Victoria's Secret campaign: yet another way girls and women are pressurised to have the so-called 'perfect body'.

In my opinion there really needs to be some what of a revolution in the fashion industry. I'm tired of companies thinking they are promoting a positive body image by displaying 'plus size' models who at the most are a size 12. That is NOT plus size and instead is making average sized women feel like they are inadequate. Marilyn Monroe, in my eyes one of the most beautiful woman in the world, was around a size 14-16 but today, that would be viewed as 'big'. Magazines need to stop retouching photos and idolising models who are often unhealthy and too thin and show normal women with a variety of shapes and sizes, the type of women you see round a town centre on a daily basis.

For the first time in a long time I have finally stopped my obsession with looking 'skinny'. I have yo yo dieted all my life and most of the time I was unhappy and probably unhealthy too. As much as I admire the likes of Alexa Chung I know I will never look like her. I was born with curves and I know I will never have that straight up and down model figure. And I can accept that now. The food I now eat is not fat free, sugar free, chemically modified rubbish. I eat good food that keeps you healthy rather than counting calories in order to lose weight. Still, body image is something I will always struggle with and I fear that if the media and fashion industry does not change their ways soon, young girls will become increasing less confident, unhealthy and obsessed with being skinny which is damaging on so many levels.

Anyway that's my rant/post over. It's just a topic that is becoming increasing important in my eyes, especially as the rise of instagram is further exposing young girls to images of 'skinny' models whom they aspire to be. I really hope there is a change soon

You May Also Like

0 comments